Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Remembering my Dad

Two years ago today, my Dad went home to heaven. He was 57 and had struggled with colon cancer for 10 months. At the time of his death, you almost feel relieved that he no longer has to be sick and in pain and that he is enjoying heaven. He is enjoying heaven because my dad in his youth had accepted Christ as his Saviour. However, the relief now has turned to mourning and we miss him a lot. We think of him often and wish he were still with us. My heart aches that Emma will not know her Grandpa Williams. My dad was a great grandfather. Of course, we will tell her about him and show her pictures. His legacy will remain with us.

My Dad grew up in Detroit, Michigan. His parents were Roy and Blanche Williams and he has one brother, Ryan. My Dad met my mom in a church youth group and they were married May 30, 196?(My mom will have to verify the exact year). He had three children Becky, Leah(his favorite-haha), and Mark. Two sons-in-law Scot and Scott. Five grandchildren Jaycie, Ashley, Harley, Josh and now Emma. My dad finished college and seminary and more seminary. He eventually earned a Doctorate of Ministry from Westminster Theological Seminary in PA. My Dad was a Pastor and then Bible teacher. My dad enjoyed all sports and was an avid Detroit Pistons, Lions, and Tiger fan. He also played the guitar. Later in life he became a fan of blue-grass music. My dad was a quiet man. Not quick to become angry or upset. He was very knowledgable of the Bible and strove to do what's right and live for God. He didn't have an easy life, but he didn't complain about it either. He was an example to all of us.

Here are some memories:(This will be good because I don't have a great memory for my childhood)
  • While in seminary my dad would usually work 2nd or 3rd shift and so he would be home when my sister and I got home from school. I often remember him cooking dinner and he was a good cook.
  • When we moved to Quincy, my dad would play basketball on Monday night with some other men from church. I remember going to the Middle School with him and watching.
  • Family vacations were very special. We went many places in Michigan, but also Washington D.C., California, and other states. My dad enjoyed traveling. He was able to go to Europe and on a "Holy Land" tour. He taught men Bible in Russia too.
  • When I was little I always wanted to be a hairstylist. I loved "doing" hair. My dad let me curl his hair and he looked like a TV preacher. I am sure it wasn't something he loved, but it is a special memory for me because it was something I really loved. I will always remember that.
  • During college, my mom faithfully wrote me letters and I really enjoyed getting letters each day from her. My dad wasn't as big of a writer, but he did write a few and I treasured those too.
  • Just a few months after I met Scott, my dad found out he had cancer. I appreciate that my dad was able to meet Scott and approved of our marriage. On one of Scott's visits to Michigan my dad put him to work repairing a few things around the house. My dad supervised from the living room while Scott fixed a light and a few other things. Scott didn't mind at all.
  • My dad loved his grandkids. My sister Becky has four kids and he loved them very much. He spent time with them and showed them he cared.

Anyway, We miss my dad a lot. He was an important part of our family. We know that God's timing is best and we trust that. It's not always easy, in fact Father's day is a difficult day for us. But we do treasure the time we had with him. So as I close, if you are reading this tribute and you still have your dad here, be thankful for him and show him that you appreciate him. Time is all too short and we don't really know how much time God has for us here on earth. Our families are very special and we need to thank God for them. We look forward to again seeing my dad one day in Heaven.


3 comments:

Rebekah Downs said...

Those are very sweet memories you have of your dad. Thank you for the reminder to love and appreciate what we have. I know that so many times we all take for granted certain family members, and we don't know when God might chose to take them home.

Cherish your memories, and enjoy passing them on to Emma as she gets older.

Anonymous said...

I am praying for you today. What are some things you plan on doing to make sure that Emma knows her Grandfather? John's mother passed away when Infinity was just 10 months old. We have pictures of her around and talk about her often to Infinity but I was wondering if you had anything specific you plan on doing or just the continual talking about him so she gets to know his memory.

I am glad that we can celebrate that your father is in Heaven with his Heavenly Father! How blessed we are to have a rich herritage in the Lord!!

christina said...

this is a very sweet tribute. i'm glad you wrote it out for emma to read someday. she'll cherish it knowing how much you love him.